View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
No go for 2001-2003 E39's (or cars with regulators that were replaced since 2001)

I have no idea of the exact cut off when the rear window regulators were improved, but my car was built in May 2001, and had one rear window regulator replaced in 2002 or 2003. This kit will NOT fit the rear window regulators on my car. I should have taken a picture, but the area where it would go has been redesigned to eliminate the weak point (now made from aluminum, not plastic, and designed differently). I had a BMW tech attempt to install them today and he showed me the difference, and we compared with the photos in the installation instructions, they are very different!

So I asked him why I had one fail anyway, and he said there are still plenty of other plastic parts in there that crack and fail, including the spool the cable winds on. Oh well. I gave the kits to my tech, as he owns a 99 540, so they should fit on his car, and he has a broken one right now. He said even with his discount, those rear regulators are about $150 to $170 each. He said the normal customer price is over $300!