View Single Post
Old 07-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
The point is that high performance cars offer much more driving satisfaction, while the big SUVs offer little utility to the driver who don't need to haul lots of stuff. Compare performance of X6 to M3 doesn't make much sense.

SUVs serve a lot of people who want higher driving position, feel powerful (seeing over the road), and an image of being powerful. Wagons are the way to go for utility - whether Accord wagon or 5 series wagon, although 535xiT isn't cheap by any means.

I think the DPC technology will go into the 5 series xdrive vehicles soon.
compare the performance of an 335 to an M3, does that make sense?

What about an M3 to M6?

Driving satisfaction is based on the customer not the car. Which is why SUV's and minivan sales were the majority of the market and wagaon sales sucked and still do. Now with high fuel prices, SUV's, minivans, and sports cars will be for the wealthy like in Europe. The middle and lower class will gravatate towards microcar diesels.

The U.S. hates wagons except for the small group in the Northwest who buy subarus.

There will always be SUV's for towing ability, utility, offroading, etc. I had an M3 in the past, the driving satisfaction is limited, MPG is low, and we all have to drive 65MPH and get stuck in traffic. But yeah, 1% of the time you can open it up.

My neighbor just sold his 350z because it was averaging 16MPG and he was stuck in traffic with a manual most of the time. But yeah, he was really satisified when reality set it.