View Single Post
Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i (01/2000 mfg.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Not per Bentley (630-5) and my experience. Bentley says the 6mm outboard adjuster is for lateral movement and the inboard adjuster is for vertical movement. My experience is that the adjusters work for the low beam only. BTW, Bentley says there are horizontal knobs that will also adjust the beam but I don't recall them being there and always used the 6mm allen wrench.
I'm not knocking you, but the Bentley isn't always right! Here's one example of a Bentley error (8th picture):

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=835680

Now back on topic...

A while back I gutted both 1996-2000 xenons and 2001-2003 xenons and got a really good idea of how they work, found all the adjusting documents I could find, yada yada yada. There's some conflicting information and yes, the outer adjuster is MOSTLY for lateral aim and the inner is MOSTLY for vertical aim, but take a look at how I described the configuration of the adjusters and you'll see that the degrees of freedom are not purely up/down and left/right, but rather in a diagonal fashion. The light looks like the following diagram:

We're looking at the passenger's side light from the front of the vehicle. I mentioned that two adjusters are on top and there is a ball and socket joint on the bottom. However, if you look at the lights carefully you'll notice that the socket is not positioned directly under the midpoint of the line between the two adjusters; the socket is oriented closer to the inner adjuster. This is what gives the outer adjuster the ability to swivel the "plate" that holds the lights to the left or right. Being a triangular setup, any left or right adjustment via the outer adjuster will additionally move the light down or up, and by the same mechanics, any up or down adjustment of the inner adjuster will also result in some left and right movement. Both adjusters need to be turned an equal number of times to eliminate the possibility of turning the light right or left.

Within my searches I've never found a definitive document concerning left/right adjustment of the lights - only vertical and only to achieve the negative 1% slope required. The following is a technical memorandum from BMW. The wording highlighted in red should be of interest in this thread, and information put out by BMW should supercede the Bentley manual: