View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
I'm sure John would provide a similar answer...

Chances are you won't have the need but you have to weigh the risk versus your desire to drive (especially long distances such as Prague). Winter weather can start as early as October in Bavaria (even earlier in the high Alpine regions). If you're dead-set on driving the car and /or visiting particular locations, I'd recommend reserving the tires now. If you're flexible and/or don't mind spending the bulk of your time in Munich if weather strikes, don't bother.

Or you could go in between and check the forecast 3-5 days out from your pick up and determine if a reservation would be prudent. Before you rely on this method, you may want to contact John to inquire on the predicted tire availability.

Remember - while winter tires are required by law in our fair countries during winter weather, they are also beneficial (but not required) during cold, dry weather too.

Regarding your itinerary, any particular reason you're heading to Prague during such a short trip? Maybe you have mitigating circumstances or just don't mind the driving/hassles but there are lots of other cool places to see in southern/central Germany that may be equally rewarding if you haven't been. The drive to Prague is relatively simple but uninspiring. Also, keep in mind the hassles you may experience at the border by the German police. They frequently stop luxury cars going into CZ to make sure they aren't stolen so be prepared with your passport and car paperwork.