View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas857 View Post
Brian, thanks for the advice. I'll contact John and reserve the tires. As for the itinerary, I know its not ideal as I only have a few days. I was stationed in Bitburg years ago, and have been to the Munich, Salzburg area several times before. Being November for my ED, crossing the Alps sounded precarious, so it left Prague or Vienna as possibilities as I have not been to either. I'm still up in the air though and would appreciate any recommendations, but I will remain flexible in case of weather.
Mark

I can't predict the future any better than anyone else, but I just checked my notes about past weather conditions in the Fall. In 2003 the first snow in Munich was on the last night of Octoberfest. It was mostly light flurries and was mostly gone by morning, but I would not have wanted to drive through it on summer tires. The next October I was there was 2006, the warmest on record. It hit 70 deg. F. during the day on the last week.

We were in Vienna last month and Prague a couple of years ago. Both are quite interesting. One advantage to Vienna is that it is a straight shot to stop in Melk or Duernstein in the Danube Valley on the way. Let me know if you want photos. (Some are at the ED forum.)
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.