View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
The original post is great. However, I've made some adaptations after doing a few chip repairs and have come up with my current approach that is a hybrid.

My "chip" kit (attached Photo) consists of:

1) 99% Isopropyl Alcohol
2) Touch Up Base Coat Paint
3) Acetone
4) Langka Blob Eliminator
5) 00 size paintbrush (note how sharp the brush tip is)

My process:

1) Clean the chip spot with #1 (alcohol)
2) Use the paintbrush to apply small amounts of paint into the chip until the paint chip is filled and there is a small "bump" where the touch-up paint is raised above the surface. This can take as many as 8 to 10 applications, allowing each to dry thoroughly.
3) After each application of paint, clean paint brush with Acetone and let dry.
4) Use Blob Eliminator to remove the raised blob and smooth out the chip spot.
5) Polish or Buff the chip spot to blend it into surrounding paint.
6) Apply paint sealant after a day (to let the chip spot cure).

I found the paint brush at a Michael's (craft store) in the section that has artist brushes. Works much better at applying just the right amount of paint with excellent control. I had to do numerous layers of paint to fill in the deeper chips because the touch-up paint is very very thin. It helps to be patient.

One comment about the Langka kit... It comes with a small credit card sized piece of plastic and the directions instruct the user to wrap it with a piece of tightly woven cloth and use that to apply the blob eliminator. This works reasonably well, but I find that for certain types of chips this can remove more paint from the chip spot than desired. An alternate approach is to take a small piece of cardboard (like you'd find on the back of a pad of notepaper) and simply apply a little blob eliminator to the cardboard and lightly rub the chip spot. The cardboard is flat and has sufficient porosity to absorb the solvent in the Langka; and it does not rub the paint out of the chip spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JimChipKit.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	159797  

Last edited by jesimmons; 09-14-2008 at 09:02 AM.