View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 318i, 135i on order
That nose is butt-ugly, but what I thought was most revealing was the rationale for the wheel wells. They look awkward, but the idea that they need to be oversized to allow for the wheel movement (like a Jeep) is almost tragic. Did they get the memo that the SUV concept is way past being over? At least they are labelling the whole thing a "concept" which means you probably won't be seeing it in this form any time soon. Amusingly enough, Audi is in the same boat with revealing their baby SUV in Paris, but they're trying to rescue that project by packaging it as a plug-in hybrid. Actions always speak louder than words - especially if the words are in the form of a marketing press-release - and the way the X-1 has been presented seems to undercut the verbage. No interior and the car rather deliberately shoved into a corner. Maybe the plug has already been pulled and this is as far as it goes. The US market could use a 5-door BMW hatch, but it needs to be economical, not mini-Cayenne extravagent. The idea that we need an "SAV" so I can go off-roading as soon as I get out of the Lincoln Tunnel goes hand in hand with the belief in unregulated financial markets. It's a myth we finally stopped believing.