View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
[QUOTE=franka;3640232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdriver View Post
my problem is that I want to see hard evidence that significant amounts cling to the parts, enough to provide a film. QUOTE]

Woah there....woah

I did not say that amounts, sufficient to provide a lubricating film, cling to the metal parts.

I only stated that syn is purported to cling longer than non syn. I did not say anything about it being in sufficient quantity to lube. Only that it clinged longer by the days stated. And if true that is a good thing in itself.

It would be easy to test at home dipping samples in each lubricant and wait a few days to see what happens. One can feel the surfaces. Yes, this is not scientific and it does not prove anything other than possibly which maintains a film longer.

All vested interests aside, of course.
But you forgot to consider that the source telling you this was basically an advertisement. I dont disagree with the idea, just whether it matters or significantly changes the startup wear. Now, the superior pour points of the better synthetics, thats straightforward, it will decrease wear on startup. And by the way the pour points were not an add, and I believe they are a quantitative fact not a subjective hypothesis.