Thread: Rear Main Seal?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy530 View Post
CN,
nothing likes to "sit still" because once it put into use, it breaks down or otherwise shows signs of no usage, ie leaks. If you remember, in storage a vehicle still needs an oil change, and its engine started every so often for simple lubrication. If the RMS is dry with out oil on it, it will leak. To your example, cars at the dealers get moved around all the time for space or specific vehicle needs. Both used and new of course. But if a used car sat a dealers lot for 5 months, YOU BETCHA it would show its signs after sitting that long, in whatever shape or form.
razzy,

If you look at the comment the O.P. made:
"P.S. I found out that the reason why my RMS went bad after only a little over 2 years and only 10K Miles is by not driving the car. I really only get to drive my car on the weekends. I was told that I need to start the car and let it run about 15-20 three time a week to keep the seals soft."

Personally, I have owned many cars and some of which are driven ONLY on weekends, and yet the RMS only leaks after 12 years old and after 100k MILES, not AFTER 2Y/10k miles!