View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
2008 535xi with sunroof leak

Our year and a half old wagon has developed the exact same problem. One day of rain in LA last week, and the entire electronics system goes berserk while my wife is in the car. Windows going up and down, radio on and off, iDrive barking about a major malfunction, etc. The only saving grace was that she was on surface streets and not on the freeway... Otherwise it could have been an extremely dangerous situation.

Anyway, car was flatbedded over to Century West BMW in North Hollywood where the SA confirms that there's several inches of water in the well where the spare tire resides and that it has shorted out all of the computer modules in the car. Says it'll be repaired under warranty. Then they call back a few hours later to say that it was caused by outside elements clogging the sunroof drains (leaves) and that warranty would not cover it -- it's going to cost us $4200.

A conversation with BMW N/A this morning resulted in no help whatsoever. They stood by the fact that "outside elements attacking the car" could result in catastrophic damage like this. When asked how a car owner could possibly avoid such damage by keeping the drains clear, they replied that it would not be a good idea for the owner to do that. When asked who could possibly keep the drains clear, then, they replied that the dealer could do that during routine servicing. When asked if the dealer was responsible for that, then, they replied that there was no way the dealer could inspect every little item on the car every time, unless it was specifically requested. When asked who might request such an inspection, they replied the owner could do that. When asked how the owner would know to request that since there's no mention of it anywhere in any manual --- silence.

This is unbelievable. I am about to lose every ounce of respect I had for the BMW brand. To top it off, we now own two of them.