View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by calpalmer View Post
My experience is that you turn DTC OFF if in snow and you're having trouble getting going.... not leave it on for use in snow as above. The behavior of DTC is to limit power applied to rear wheels to avoid spinning, but if spinning is what you need (ice and snow it often is to get some momentum) you'll need to turn DTC off. I have to admit, I haven't used DTC-off in my current BMW, as I don't drive it in those conditions, but this is how all my other cars' and trucks' traction control system has worked, and I think I've read in the admittedly confusing BMW owners' manual this is how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cal
The way I interpret it is that DTC is turned on by deactivating DSC (which limits tire slipping) with the button. DTC (allows some tire slipping) is used in icy conditions (when tire slipping is generally necessary) to initially start off and then DSC is reengaged (touch of the button), to keep you safer while moving in the slippery conditions.
I don't think there is any interpretation problem with the 'hold the button in' to disengage everything to let the fun begin (not in snow/ice) during those 'play days'.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316