View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 750i 2008 E65 4.4L
UPDATE: BMWNA covering parts for oil separator failure

Hi All, spoke with the local dealership service advisor about my failed oil separator. BMW has agreed to cover the parts damaged by the failure, as long as I cover the labor, which is about 10 hrs at $130 per hour. That's fine with me.

So, this problem is being resolved. BMW really needs to do something to PREVENT operational failure of this oil separator. After I get the repair invoice, I will post the parts replaced.

Here is what I have found to help prevent this problem:

1.) Do not warm up your vehicle. This is stated in the manual and causes excessive condensation buildup in the engine.

2.) In cold climates, drive at least 20 minutes at highway speed to burn off condensation.

3.) Each fall, remove oil separator, clean with brake cleaner, and also clean hoses of residue.

4.) Change oil every 8k miles, instead of 15k. This will remove most condensation in the oil.

I hope this never happens to you. The engine seizes within 10 minutes and if you are on a highway, you have big problems with little warning. If you ever sense a loss of power and a LOT of white smoke out the rear, pull over to a safe area asap.

-Sequel95