View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by black540eye View Post
With the metal ramps, doesn't the front spoiler hit prior to the wheels actually traveling up the ramp? (I have a 540 M Sport..sits pretty low with the 18" wheels and 35 profile tires).....also, with metal ramps, they always seem to slide on you as you try to drive up on them. I can see how the wooden ramps would work....I don't think they would slide as long as you made them long "enough"...how long did you make the longest 2x10 (or 2x12)?

black540eye,

Instead of jackstand, the other option is Home-Made Wood Ramp using 2 x10 Lumber.
See pic. The wood ramps are:

1. Sturdy.

2. Very smooth for the car to climb up (any car that I have owned, from my 98 Volvo V70 to my 2007 Honda Odyssey van):

3. Easy to make: using left-over Lumber at construction job site.
(or about $10 Lumber cost at hardware store).

4. Easy to use, just drive the car up. No need to jack up the car with jackstand.
Make sure you do not go over the "cliff"....LOL
Also: Apply E-brake + block the Rear Wheel with a brick.

I have been using wood ramps for 20 years changing oil, checking undercarriage, flush trans, flush rear diff fluid, bleeding brake etc. Very nice to use it: just drive up and down, saving alot of time jacking the car up and down.

For the most parts with routine maintenance mentioned above, wood ramps make your life very easy.

Of course the jackstand has it own use (suspension works, brake work).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodRamp.JPG
Views:	833
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	173243