02-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
Join Date: Mar 2006
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Originally Posted by truelies
Today I got radiator fail on the road and lost all the coolant. I just towed the car to a nearby experienced repair man, he will only charge me $70 for change radiator and pipes etc., I don't want to work so soon on this car.
I should change all parts as you said, last time I changed Thermostat and Water pump.
My question is:
1. Why I need to change the clutch? It's made by steel.
2. Why you didn't replace two water horses connecting coolant expansion tank?
3. Does the coolant expansion tank come with the "coolant level sensor"?
4. Expansion Tank/Coolant Reservoir.........$69.82
5. Fan Blade; 420mm 11 Blade...........$23.50
1. Fan Clutch fails, it is the liquid inside the coupling that fails, not the steel itself.
Just google to see how a typical fan clutch works.
2. Heater Hoses last much longer than radiator hoses.
Radiator Hoses typically carry hundreds of gallons of coolant per minute.
Heater Hoses carry way less. Also the hose thickness versus lumen diamter ratio is higher for heater hoses ---> they last much longer.
3. Some models have sensor and some don't. My reservoir has no sensor.
4. Reservoir, make sure it is OREM.
5. Return that Fan Blade ASAP. It is MTC crap. I tried to save a few dollars buy using the MTC Fan Blade. It broke in one year.
For Fan Blade, use only dealer.