View Single Post
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Acura TL, 2009 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
You can look at the mathematics of it as demonstrated above.

There are simple advantages of diesel. You get substantially longer range between fillups. The midrange torque is unparalleled by any petrol from BMW, including the M5. It has 580Nm of torque versus the V10's 520Nm. This makes the vehicle extremely flexible in any situation. You are being "green" for the environment because it emits less CO² than any other X5 model (okay, the xDrive30d in the EU emits 3 g/km less, big deal). In Virginia, diesel is usually a modest $0,08/litre more expensive, but I have seen places where it is almost on par with premium petrol.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone gets the 3.0si model, maybe someone can explain this to me. Just my €0,02.
question....why are you using EUR and litre/KM to explain cost in the US? Are you really from Virginia?

Diesel prices in the US going forward will only get higher against regular gasoline as demonstrated this past summer. If and when the economy picks up, the spread is going to get bigger. Not sure if anyone should be looking at MPG's to decide whether or not you should be getting a diesel engine. If anyone is worried about the operating cost...get a hyundai.