View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i, Toyota Land Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post
The fuel and cost savings from owning a diesel will be small. When you look at it as a percentage of acquisition cost, almost trivial. I've heard some stories that this will change as our involvement in 3 wars diminishes--not sure how much I believe that.
I still think that an $1,800 tax credit and $500-1000 per year (basically a car payment) in gas savings can be significant. When you combine that with getting a vehicle almost as powerful as the 4.8 for about $5K cheaper, I think the cost-benefit equation is a no-brainer. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Diesel vehicles are about much more than cost savings. Perhaps the biggest reason we have them in North America at all is because consumers wanted a choice. Diesels will not be a profitable segment in the near term, or possibly even in the medium term.
What does this mean? Not profitable for dealers? No offense, but why would consumers really care about that? And why do you think they'll be less profitable than other vehicles?

Quote:
Diesels do provide a good interim step as the world weans itself away from fossil fuels. And in a world where governments are beginning to legislate how efficient passenger vehicles have to be, diesels serve a compelling purpose for manufacturers looking to increase their corporate fuel economy averages.