View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3
This may by something you can fix yourself

Iíve owned my 2005 BMW X3 for less than a month and two nights ago, after heavy rain, water leaked into my car. Luckily the extent of the damage appears to have been the puddle of water on the passenger side carpet.

It looked as if the windshield was leaking, but Iím glad that was not the case .

The problem was that the moon roof drains were clogged (at the bottom). I did a quick test by pouring some water near the drain holes, located on either side of the front of the moon roof, to see if it would drain. It did not. I checked the bottom drains and they were very obviously clogged. Using two screw drivers I was able to remove the clog. It took less than 30 minutes from start to finish, including the initial test and the final test to ensure that the drains were in fact, unclogged.

I would have to respectfully disagree with the person that said, ďI don't think it's safe to blame the design of the drain when just about everyone else's car is dry as a bone.Ē BMWs are known for their excellent engineering and we pay premium price for it. Being an engineer myself, I donít think this design is optimal, even if it works well for most people.