View Single Post
Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: e36 316i
How's it going?
Good advice Kyle.
Done a few rear bearings without any puller or press tools, used a home made slide hammer for one, the others i removed the trailing arm, pretty easy to do, but be sure to mark the mounting bracket position. Also mark the eliptical bolt head at the lower control arm ( this should help get the geometry right ). Once the trailing arm was out i tapped the drive shaft out and then used a lump hammer and some brass to get the hub out from behind. To get the outer race out i used a lenght of thick treaded bar with nuts, washers and bits of scrap metal as spacers to press the bearing out. Used the same rod to get the new one into the trailing arm and the hub into the bearing, using the old bearing parts as spacers ( they usualy break when being removed).
People attempting this should beware that when fitting the new bearing into the trailing arm to apply force only to the outer race and when pressing the hub in to apply force only to the inner race.
Also clean the inside of the hub and the splines on the drive shaft and apply some engine oil to aid easy re-assembly.

Kev
A lenght of threaded rod you should get for a few dollars.