Thread: Ireland
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 535i - ED May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
Hey all,

I am heading to Ireland in July! This isn't ED related, but I'm posting because people here are well-traveled. I was wondering if anyone had any lodging recommendations?

We're flying into Shannon, driving the Ring of Kerry, then Cork, and then up to Dublin. We're also taking a trip up to Donegal in the north since that is where my grandmother was born.

Lodging and dining recommendations in Cork or Dublin would be much appreciated, as well as anything that might be "do not miss"! I was in Ireland in 2002 and saw Galway, the Cliffs of Moher, and Waterford Crystal (which is now in receivership! )

Also, we will be renting a car, if someone has tips about the whole 'driving on the wrong side' thing, they would be helpful. I do drive an MT, and I'm lefthanded, so I'm not worried about the rental being a stickshift.
I would recommend hitting the Ring of Kerry. From Tralee take the connor pass to Dingle. If the weather is nice you can hike one of the tallest mountains in ireland. The dingle penn. does not have the big tour buses like the ring of kerry. The town of dingle is full of unique pubs. The drive around the penn. is also very unique and beautiful, visiting the great blasket islands, beehive huts, etc.

While visiting the ring of kerry I would take a drive on to Valencia island, I took the n70 and then took the ferry across to valencia island and then drove across it, and also stayed on the island just across the bridge from portmagee. One of the most unique experiences of my life was a boat ride and tour of the Skellig Michael. I highly recommend this!! You can arrange for your trip at portmagee.

As far as places to stay, I recommend picking up the B & B book at the airport for $5. Really can't go wrong with most places.

hope this helps.