View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: VW GTI
Potential future buyer, have some questions.

Hello,

I am somewhat new to BMW community since I haven't owned one in the past. But I have friends who owned few M5s (2001 and 2007/2008), and one with 335i. They all loved the cars. But the 2001 M5 was at the dealer many times for various electrical problems, and the 335 will be going back to the dealer for a second set of door handles. Luckily all these cars were under warranty.

I am starting to look into car possibilities once I'm done with school. 650i is leading the pack. But I have noticed a trend on Autotrader...most of these cars are sold with 500-1000 miles remaining on the warranty. Is this something to be concerned about or not? How reliable are these cars once they are up to 40K miles or more? Would it make more sense to look for one with extended warranty?

I currently have a 2006 GTI and that thing will definitely be sold before my warranty is up. Not because it has many problems right now, but there are few parts on it that are equivalent to a ticking bomb without a timer on it...if it goes, then not only do I loose $5k in value once its out of warranty, but another 3-5K in repairs. I don't want the same thing to happen to a BMW because those repairs would probably be twice as much.

Thank you for your help.