View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i (E39) Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnnykoool View Post
Great thread! You definitely did your homework. Maybe when I have some more $$ I'll work on the suspension.

I recently did a rear-bearing overhaul on my 01 525i, manual trans. Actually, after a 12 hour day of hammering and cussing, I only got to one on the driver's side. It was definitely shot, lots of pitting on the inner and outer braces, bearings where falling out and broken.

Now, my car tends to 'bounce/lunge' in 1st and 2nd gear when decelerating (no braking) like there's a rubber band tied to the rear of the car. The car used to do this just a little bit but only when I was careless with the clutch. It's a similar feeling. Have you experienced anything like this? Maybe it's a spline alignment issue? I can't see why the spline alignment with the bearing would make a difference since the wheel is free to spin. Bad u-joint maybe?

I also get an ABS pulse in the brakes when slowing down after about 25 mph, but it's not constant. About 2 or 3 per second. I cleaned the pulse sensor and the hole it goes in and there's no visible damage. I'll check the resistance to the sensor today, but I'm betting my symptoms are related. It could have been the 20 mins with a slide hammer on the hub that did it in... should have unhooked it (it's all in the details).

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on my problems or experienced them yourself...
Guess I jumped the gun on all those questions... I just took out the sensor and thoroughly cleaned the hole it goes in with 3M carb cleaner (against my better judgment with the plastic, I gave it 15 mins and spun the shaft a few times to let the carb cleaner evaporate). Also used some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper on the sensor end which was slightly marred. Looking in the hole as I turned the hub, I could see some marring and some plastic rubbings on the cv shaft ring that the sensor reads from. I carefully used a flat-blade screwdriver to clean the shaft up a bit and remove the grime, plastic, etc., followed by some more carb cleaner. Everything works great now, no ABS grinding, no lugging either, which is an interesting side effect. I think the lugging was the ABS system compensating for the information from that sensor which it deemed accurate. It might also explain why it was only at low speed, <30 mph.

Lesson learned: If you do this job, invest in some good carb cleaner and treat that sensor and CV shaft rim like a fine lady; don't be too rough with her. It could cost you some $$ and a$$ pain to redo these suckers. Definitely clean the shaft up thoroughly and rub some fine sandpaper around the rim to knock down any nicks/scratches. It'll save you some do-over time in the long run.

Next up, the passenger side bearing! I'll get off your post now...