View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 02:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
My rear wheel bearings were shot - plain and simple. They were clicking on hard turns, especially when I drive through my parking garage and can hear it very well. My car drives so much tighter and does not have the loose feeling anymore. I replaced the wheel bearings on my E34 at 75K and they were in worse condition than these - you could hear the metal scraping loud and clear.

I find it hard to believe that you find it premature without even seeing my car in person. You are basing your opinion on a mechanics's theory, whereas I am speaking from present reality and experience over the years with a number of BMW's. You would definitely change your mind if you had my rear wheel bearings in your hands, experiencing the play for yourself. Many BMW mechanics will tell you the same thing about the Vanos, auto trannys, etc. There are many BMW mechanics I would never allow to touch my car.
+1!
The non-disputing fact that that mmm635's bearings were bad in his hand should be enough IMO.
Just because a mechanic says something, doesn't mean it is law IMO.
It is better to find out, and fix the thing before it gets crazy bad.

IMO, I am betting that the majority of the wheel bearings on E39's are toast around 60-75k miles, but it is too hard to tell if they are bad until you remove the bearings and inspect them.

Last edited by Jason5driver; 05-04-2009 at 10:59 AM.