View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluesky View Post
This is a common problem and the fact that there is a service bulletin just for the peeling paint is evidence of that. You only know a small portion of the bmw owner community, just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it isn't a big problem. It peels because it is just the nature of the soft touch paint they use. I'm guessing they did not expect this to happen in the long run but it seemed like a great idea up front. And why would I intentionally scratch my paint... Just to get it replaced? That's a dumb idea and isn't worth the hassle imo and my dealership has yet to recognize it as a problem... Also you car is an 08, they've either addressed and fixed the problem by now or it hasn't had enough wear and tear to show signs of it. Most of the cars that are experiencing the peeling paint are 06 cars.
I did not insinuate you actually scratched the paint. I just said it appears as if someone tried to scratch it. Just like when I saw a car with a lot of dings on aluminum trim pieces: I know it is soft, and I have one or two tiny scratches myself. But that car looked like someone took a nail and hit the trim with it all over. I simply couldn't understand how it could happen. Maybe the driver was wearing a medieval knight armour