View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 525iA, '87 325e 5spd
No A/C stink anymore! Change the cabin air filters and make sure they are not the cheapies, but the charcoal activated kind. I have has the car 3 years, and have changed the cabin air filters 4 or 5 times, because initially it smelled. No smell now at all, so I will just get on a yearly routine with those. I do sprinkle in a little baking soda as well on to the filters. Another thing, make sure that your cabin air filters are dry. If they are not installed correctly and the covers not attached, rain water can seep in and make them damp. As they say, "ask me how I know......" Keep the small rubber drain hoses clear of leaves and debris --these are located to the bottom of each plastic filter housing. I use a plastic straw to clean them out. It's flexible and something I had around the house. Run the A/C in the winter to keep it lubed up . I use it not only for cooling, but to get rid of moisture even in cold weather. I do let fan run after I turn A/C off--but not for 10 minutes, and not every time. I dunno, maybe because I use the heat during the winter, that somehow dries out whatever causes the damp smell? All I know is that the CC in this car is fantastic for the most part. I really like the fact that I can fine tune the dash vents using the center dial--seems like a small feature until you freeze/bake your face off in another car! Oh yeah, I also replaced FSU/FSR last Spring. Best of luck resolving this stinky problem.