View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Mazda6, R90/6 R60/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

But it is what it is. The ONLY way for a dealership to make money on these type of repairs, is to get customers in and out and off the lift as soon as possible. I'm not advocating it as a good business practice, and it's not. And that's the primary reason my indie shop buddy, who was the senior master mechanic at a local BMW dealership quit his somewhat well paid job to start his own business, because he doesn't like to treat his customers that way either. But from having some visibility into how dealership service departments are run, I can not blame them for doing business the way they do business.

Like I said, $150 in parts is the cost of hiring 2.5 porters for a day. Leaving said customer's car on the lift to call him about paying for the part, is the amount of time that they could get another warranty/maintenance service claim completed and billed to BMW NA. It's just business for most dealerships, where as for an indie shop, it's ALL ABOUT RELATIONSHIPS.

Tell me if you don't agree.
The only thing I disagree with is that our car was in the shop for over 5 days waiting for parts. This dealer is currently trying to rebuild its customer base that was wiped out last year due to a union dispute. The garage was shut down for over 6 months.

I had asked for a quote for extending the warrantee for another two years, they didnít even bother giving me a quote. By being absolutely technically correct about the rotor being within spec they have lost a customer, relationships are important for dealerships too.