View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 530i, 04 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post
There is a TSB on this problem in cars produced prior to 10/05. Apparently there was a design defect that allowed the drains to clog and water to pour into the car. Despite the knowledge of the defective part, and the fact that a known defective part is on my friend's car, BMW is still denying warranty coverage. They would not even allow him to speak with somebody above the phone operator level at BMW USA.

I have been a loyal BMW buyer for 13 years now. In that time I have owned 14 BMW's. In my experience BMW has always stood behind its products. But I must say that BMW's refusal to honor the warranty when the part is known to be defective is reprehensible. It would make me consider not buying another BMW...

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue, short of retaining an attorney?
There is the problem: Your friend, unlike you, has not been a BMW owner for 13 years. I suspect if he could prove that he too was a BMW owner for so long, he might have come up with success.

What kind of approach did he use? Did he follow the chain of command, including with the dealership?

Sounds like your friend has no previous military or corporate experience. Chain of command assists tremendously. Certainly, he could have presented his research to someone in that chain of command. Somebody there could have escalated the call to a higher authority.

In regard to hiring an attorney, cost to go to court would likely be about $3500.

Cost to fix leak: a ton less.

Cost to smile again: priceless.

Talk to your friend.

As far as his option to try litigation, dealers and manufacts here this 25 times a day. 99 and 44/100 percent fail to do so because they can't afford it.

On the other hand, manufacts have attorney on retainer. It costs them nothing extra other than the annual retainer.