View Single Post
Old 06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I think I misled you with the wording of my question.

From your answer, I deduce you're explaining the six larger wider rectangular pins and corresponding holes numbered #1 to #6. But I wasn't talking about those first six pins since the only ones that matter at the moment are the sensor pins which aren't any of those first six. (So it's my fault for not making the question clear).

To restate the question, notice there are 36 other pins that are all of the same size; these are pins #7 to #42. These 36 other pins actually have twice as many holes as there are pins. Each of those 36 has both a square hole (which the Washington-monument-like pins go into); and there is a slightly larger concomitant rectangular hole right next to each square hole.

Why? What's the second hole for?

I think the answer is:
1. The first (tiny) hole (square) is for the tiny pins (washington monuments)
2. The second (larger) hole (rectangular) is for the (probably round) test leads.

If so, BMW designed this connector rather well; they gave us a test point that is not the same as the connection point.

If this is true, we should tell everyone, moving forward, that they should stick their 20 AWG test leads into the test-lead hole and not into the pin's square hole. If they stick their large test leads into the wrong hole, they may deform it and damage it (my assumption), which would be a bad thing. I think that's why BMW supplies the test-lead hole. (My guess).

So, if I'm right, we now have a hint and a warning for the next person who attempts to test their ABS sensors from the ABS connector.

Right?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leads.jpg
Views:	28636
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	189661  

Last edited by bluebee; 06-15-2009 at 12:57 PM.