View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
True - Bosch and MB developed ABS. But I think BMW showed it off 1 week prior to MB, and stole some of their thunder. I believe they were quite upset by that . I read this somewhere. However, it is widely acknowledged that MB was the first to have ABS, perhaps propogated by the fact that they invented it. So, I'll drop this as an innovation from BMW.
M contour seats I say are innovative in having the top part of the seat articulate - the first car to have something like that. But if that isn't an innovation, then what is on the E38? I'm sure I'm missing something.
ARS I see as an innovation in controlling the suspension via stiffness of the anti-roll bars. ABC does it differently (control of shocks?), and is a rendition on other systems that have preceded it.

But - if you can point out similar advances in the F01, I will happily acknowledge and eat my words.
I was just pointing out similar technologies that were released first...

I agree that there isnt anything very groundbreaking in the new 7, mostly its taking existing technologies and improving and placing together into a much more cohesive product.

Heads up display, fully generated instrument cluster, new IDrive with much better controls, 4-wheel steering, etc. They're all "new" but really its just a version 2.0 of many existing technologies.

That said I think we might have approached some kind of plateau in car development and it seems like the next major advancements will come from new alternative/hybrid drivetrains with the economy and government regulations.

http://ManiGandham.com