View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 07:26 PM
aka cngzsn

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Also, you're entirely wrong about the M50 having similar lubrication requirement as an M54. They were changed significantly, and different factors have contributed to M54s calling for lighter oils than BMW called for in M50s.
"Calling for lighter oils" is on the same grounds as RP's or your claims. What is "lighter"? Early M54s called for LL-98 oil, which was based on what BMW called "special oils" that are primarily selected for long drain intervals and NOT because of the slight differences between M54 and M50 engines.

What are those significant changes that you speak of? VANOS? You know later M50s also had a single vanos, right? I suggest you to read the thread I linked below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWOT View Post
+1 I run synthetic 15w50 in the summer and synthetic 5/40 in the winter
If you're using those oils in the car in your sig, you're not only using the wrong viscosity in your car per your manual, but also losing gas mileage and hp. Especially the 15w50 weight (which I believe to be the Mobil 1's 15w50 in your case), whether it be a synthetic or dino, has never been an approved weight for any BMW engine at any time per their TIS's. Still, for some unknown reason the e36 M3 guys seem to like this oil too much I'd rather run Castrol's 10W-60 that is approved for S54s.

Here's a nice thread for both of you:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1003372

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW 6MT - Sold
Kashmir Beige MetallicSamana BeigePoplar Wood e34 525it ZPP/Auto
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 06-19-2009 at 07:28 PM.