View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
LOL lighter oil = the one with a lower number ha! Are you sure about that? Is this your final answer? So let me ask you this: Which one of these is lighter: BMW 5W-30, GC 0W-30 or M1 0W-40. That's right, the one with a lower number, right?
Keep it in context. A 0-30 or 0-40 is obviously lighter than something like a 15-50 or 20-50, like you see in the E36 manual image I posted. By lighter I'm not referring to specific mass, and I think you and everyone else can figure that out.

Quote:
whatever, I suggest you keep your "anectodal" advice on oil to yourself and give a more solid one next time.
I clearly marked what I said as anecdotal, and when I see fit I will continue to share from my personal experiences and denote them as such.

Quote:
Also, TISs supersede manuals and all you need is to go ahead and read them. Or just read the thread I linked. Although it is true that the 15W-50 dino made it to the M50tu manual at some point, it is nowhere to be found to be recommended weight for the S50, not even in the manual. Trust me on that, I have both manuals available within an arm's reach as I type this.
I haven't owned an S50-engined BMW so I won't waste time arguing about that, but I would be interested to see what is recommended for it. Can you post a pic of the chart for the S50 since it's in arm's reach? Also, I'd like to know the TIS Bulletin # of the info posted in that thread.

Either way, the TISB's don't always supersede previous information. Keep in mind the info posted in the thread you linked clearly shows the ACEA oils as being perfectly approved in the viscosities I listed in my OP, just that you can also run BMW LL-xx specs as well.

Personally, I'm as sold on BMW's LL-01 and LL-98 specification as I am on their modern LL-xx oil change interval of 15,000+ miles, which is to say: not much.

Quote:
I have owned a e34 (M50TU), e36 (S50), and an e46 (M54) and I don't think you are in a position to judge my knowledge about these engines. So no, it looks like it is you who has to learn about different engines before giving any advice on what type of oil one has to use in them. I don't know who made you the official king of e36 OT, but it looks like that's where you indeed belong.
I am not judging your knowledge based on what cars you've owned, rather what you've posted so far. Owning the car doesn't make you an expert.

And I ran a coup and set myself up as dictator. Holy hell, lighten up, it's a joke we've got running around here.

Quote:
Again, let me repeat my question: What are those significant differences between an M54 and a M50? And please don't give me that "What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander" or the "design change on the internals" this time, will ya?
I don't recall the exact changes, I'll have to look them up. It's been a while since I read about them. I do remember reading information that said due to the changes that BMW made to the engines they were designed to run lighter (oops, there's that unfounded Royal Purple claim would it be easier on you if I said "thinner"?) oils than the older engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana