View Single Post
Old 06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '12 328iT Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbal View Post
Yes...what is involved?
I slowly trickled water into the sunroof tray today...the front drains through tubes exiting where the front door hinge is. The REAR: exits at a point found when you follow the roof line back to the gap where the hatch is. When I opened the hatch, I saw water running out from the rear-most point of the slot holding the rails. It then ran down just outside the seal for the hatch, but also inside the trunk along the track that holds the trunk cover. There is a piece of plastic by the roof seen when the trunk is open that looks like it is intended to divert the water to the outside area of the seal, but water runs UNDER it...I think this is the design flaw. This description stinks but if you try it you will see what I mean. This is a very poor design, especially considering all the electronics are back there. I don't think the rear drains (which are apparently hard to clean per the dealership) have to be clogged for there to be a problem. Now, if someone could explain to me how the sunroof lets in water when it is closed, I would be happy.
This is normal and part of the design. The problem is if it penetrates the cabin. Usually from the headliner and into the covered storage bins under the rear windows and then into the tire well and electrical area. You have to take everything out of the spare tire area, down to the bottom, to really tell if it's dry.
'06 M3C (Jet Black)
'06 530xiT (Titanium Gray)
'03 325xiT (Topaz)
'02 330i sport (Jet Black)
'01 330i (Jet Black)
'01 Z3 (Topaz)