View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
The entire door panel was reupholstered, not just the red. Its all a marine quality vinyl, looks and feels just like leather (those little screw covers that hold the door pull on match perfectly) and is sun and weather resistant. Tried carpet glue, didn't work. Tried spray adhesive, no dice. The only two things that would work were Contact Cement and 5 min epoxy. Turns out those glues don't like 100+ temperatures that are constant this time of year and wouldn't set up............ At ALL.

I'd heard to use hot glue on the red panel insert to keep it on, but then had ALSO heard from Ken that no glue he'd tried was able to keep that panel on. Sooooooo, did something similar and used screws to hold that panel in place. Used the little plastic button thingies that snap over the screw head to give it a cleaner, professional look, as opposed to the more industrial look of the open screws. Mainly because I couldn't find the same screws Ken had used and these were the next best look. I'm going to keep looking for some different screws to see if I can find anything else I like better, but its awesome for now.

I'll take some better pictures tomorrow to show just how perfectly the red matches my paint. Seriously, it's like it was custom dyed to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...