View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
I guess the different model years might have less room...??? Mine definitely had very limited space (hence the 3 hours it took me!)

For the coils themselves, I had to pull at an angle pretty roughly especially on the ones at the very very back... it didn't seem like it was going to come out, but if you keep pulling it should... However, that's not the end of it... given the limited space at the back, getting the spark plugs themselves out is a challenge...

You should buy a U-joint adapter for your socket wrench along with different-sized extensions - this will allow you to bend your wrench at an angle (not going straight in)... I would say it's pretty much a requirement for getting the back ones out. And use tape wrapped around to hold all the adapters together - last thing you want is to lose an adapter in a spark hole at the back of your engine and then have to get creative on how to get it out)...

The second problem I had was my spark plug holes had some oil in them (will get around to changing the valve cover gaskets one of these days!) which caused the rubber boots around a couple of the coils to get stuck in the hole seemingly from suction on the back of the boot (the coil came out, but the rubber boot didn't with it). I put the finger of a rubber glove over the coil and stuck it in the hole and it gave it enough friction to pop the boot out.

Last edited by teejaylentz; 08-13-2009 at 07:15 PM.