View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 F02 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by asaseaban View Post
So i assume customers will receive some kind of email or notification from their dealership whenever new updates for the Navigation system OS and/or maps are available or customers will have to make random calls to the dealership to see if any update is/are available?

In the past, i've relied on bimmernav.com, Navteq, x5world.com (now xoutpost.com) and my friend from the local dealership parts department to get updates on NAV OS upgrades and map updates. For NAV OS upgrade, i've always bought the OS software online (i'll get the part number from my friend) and do the upgrade myself. I like the DIY plus its less expensive compare to what the dealership charges for parts and labor just for the NAV OS software upgrade. In addition, i was able to customize the NAV OS software to include additional pictures, fonts, and voices. I'm anxious to see if the new iDrive HDD based navigation system will continue to support the aforementioned customization.

I'm very happy with the HDD Navigation system because i no longer have to spend $199 twice a year buying navigation DVDs from Navteq but i'm curious as to how much the dealerships will charge for new map updates and i also wonder if Navteq will comeup with a new DVD map update(s) for the new iDrive HDD navigation system that can be downloaded onto the nav system (without requiring the DVD to reside in the system like the old MKIV nav unit) and is less expensive to compete with BMW dealerships.

I read somewhere that the new map updates will be available in DVD format that the dealership will load/install onto the iDrive HDD navigation system. Can customers purchase the DVD and do the install/loading themselves or this is strictly a dealership thing?
All good questions. I wonder the same as well. One thing I am almost certain of... we will still be required to pay for yearly updates to the map data.