View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 5401
BMW' 530xit Cannot Survive Leaves!

Just purchased my "certified" 2006 530xit in February and recently started experiencing major leaks into the back electronic compartments. Knocked out the lights and power to the rear hatch amoungst other warning messages going off. So we took it to the Burlington, Vermont dealership (purchased at Chambers BMW in Boston) as my wife was up there for a few days for a golf tournament. So they get back to me last night to tell me that the car required $1,800.00 in repairs (which they apparently performed without my authorization) to clean the clogged drains and replace the ruined electronic modules and that this is NOT covered under warranty! They asked me if I parked it where there was excessive debris/leaves ect and I told them no! as it is parked in my driveway or at work in an open parking lot. Now this is Vermont and we do have trees but there were no leaves on the trees until May and as it it August the leaves have not even started coming down as yet (thank god). So apparently be forwarned that you cannot own a BMW with a panoramic sunroof in an area that has trees that shed leaves!!! Meanwhile I told them that I am an attorney (which I am) and that I was going to take a shot at BMW for breach of warranty and known defects and for undertaking work without being authorized (there is nothing in the manual about cleaning out the sunroof drains) and the gentleman who called me stated that he would get back to his supervisior and see what can be done. So we shall see. I guess my next step is to call the dealership in Boston and explain the situation to see if they can be of any help. So it was nice to see that TSB posted that I think could be helpful in my upcoming lawsuit with BMW. Maybe we can turn this into a class action suit so let's find out just how many owners are experiencing this problem. Dan Ewald