09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Omaha NE
Join Date: Mar 2006
Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
1. Suspension Overhaul is here. I wrote the DIY a few weeks ago.
PN for Tierods, Rubber Boots, Oetiker Clamps are included in the DIY!
At 136K, I'd recommend the Entire Front End Suspension:
I bought 90% of my parts from EACTuning.com
2. Steering Rack: two (2) options:
a. Buy a Rebuilt Steering Rack, EACTuning lists a rebuilt rack for $900!!!
You can search around for a cheaper price.
Please post a follow-up if you find something cheaper (but good not junk!) somewhere.
b. Rebuild it. Finding the "Rebuild Kit" may be challenging.
Please post a follow-up if you find where to buy it.
Most online stores don't carry it.
Procedure for rebuild for E30 is here, E39 is very similar:
3. To remove Steering Rack:
- Read the link above.
- Car supported with Jackstands
- Tierods removed (see my DIY, Step #20 is Tierod removal):
- Oil Line Removal (Banjo Fitting), here is a pic from my car. Have a catch pan ready for fluid spill!
- Bolt holding Steering Rack:
- Disconnect U-joint from Steering Column where it joins the rack.
If you actually rebuild the Steering Rack yourself, please post a follow-up where to buy the "Rebuild Kit" and pics!