View Single Post
Old 10-07-2009, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a MY 2007 530xi (first BMW, and very excited!!), and after reading through some of the posts regarding the iPod adapter I have some questions. The car does not currently have an iPod adapter, but I think I want to have one installed - just want some advice to find out if its really worth the $500+.

I have an iPhone, and it doesn't sound like the adapter will work to charge the unit, and doesn't function well as a music player either. What I'm thinking about doing is having a regular iPod connected to the glove box adapter all the time for music, and then having my iPhone connected via bluetooth for phone. FYI the car has NAV in case this helps tie everything together.

1) Will this layout work well with the iDrive/NAV, and resolve some of the functional issues? i.e. will the NAV function correctly while playing music though the adapter, and when a call comes in will the unit pause the music iPod while on the call and then resume when call ended?

2) Is it worth while invest ($500+ install + a dedicated iPod)?

3) Are there alternatives I don't know about?

4) Sounds like there may be a size limit to the amount of readable music - if so, what is it?

5) What is the best iPod for just sitting in the glove box and connecting to the head unit?

6) Is there a good way to "install the iPhone for charging and connecting to the roof antenna?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
JG