Thread: 328i vs 328xi
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 328XI Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
Silly accusation. Let's break it down...

Being a MT driver, I appreciate simplicity. This was a huge factor in choosing a MT back in the 1980s when auto trannys were younger -- I remember talking with my father about this, and I have always liked the theoretical lower cost due to the simplicity of manuals.

However, over time this argument becomes weaker -- even though I still drive a MT, I wouldn't really argue that it is more reliable than today's auto transmission. In fact, once autos get extremely reliable the viscous / hydraulic coupler may need less than a clutch plate replacement at 80k.

It's not an angry denial, but honestly, do you think that the failure point will be in an AWD clutch / transmission link / whatever in an old car, having two of them versus four? It's probably pretty low down on overall priorities. The weight issue IMO is more convincing.
I can't remember ever having any failure or maintenance issues with any FWD or AWD car I've ever had, although I have traded in my AWDs with around 50K miles on them. Which, by the way, is another counterpoint to this. Why care whether there will be maintenance issues if you plan to trade-in, re-lease, or sell before those issues might even occur?