View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadbull View Post
X3's... As was stated already , Bmw is in a Rush to move the production up to compeat with Audi,Volvo,MB, and Acura , and they have transferd the production from Austria ( Styer Magna) to the SC facility.

I was a bit shocked to see the X1 being built outside the USA, since BMW is trying to build all the SUV/SAV's in one plant.
The X1 is really a version of the current 3 Series and was the replacement of the outgoing X3 on some levels- the current X3 is based on the E46 3 Series and is on a dated platform which has cost BMW sales and the ability to update it effectively. They did not want to have the same issue arise at the end of the next X3 so they opted to base it on the future 3 Series platform, the X3 will usher in the next generation platform. While the X1 will be cheaper to produce and remain an entry level vehicle; the systems are already in place and have been designed so it was just packaging them in a vehicle the new X3 is all new.

I hope that makes sense... also the X1 is really designed as an EU product with the size and options so it make sense to build it there.

-M
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired