View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i Coupe (soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
I already have the BMW kit for my ipod on my 2010 535 and I'm quite pleased the results. I stick my ipod down in the console and haven't taken it out since.

My dilema is my iPhone that I use for calls. All I want is a simple way to mount/store/hold the iPhone in the car during travel and provide a charge. That's it. No music, not intergration, etc, I have all that I need for music from my old-school iPod. But when I get in the car, I don't feel like I have a good place to store it and I'm frustrated with a sloppy wire from my vehicle power adapter.

Is there a simple mounting solution that's clean and simple to accomplish my goal? It looks like the spec.dock is the closest thing but much of the cost of that unit is tied up in the inegration capabilities which is overkill for my needs.
I had a similar situation with my '07 650. An elegant solution is offered by Pro Clip (http://www.proclipusa.com/home/home....EC_wnpoqHlCS1-). Their clips are car-dependent, while their mounts are device dependent. My iPhone sits in an adjustable, powered mount (can be sized for any sleeve), with the clip attached to the center dash vent. My older generation iPod lives in the glove box attached to the BMW cd emulator.

My only remaining issue is playing the iPhone's Pandora radio app---I'm addicted--through the aux input in the center console. For this I'll need to run a 3.5 mm m-m cable to the console from the Pro Clip mount. Then I'll be able to listen to Pandora on the aux iDrive input while listening to my iPod using the cd changer input. Of course, I could also listen to the iPhone's iPod via the aux input, but in this case, I wouldn't have the iPod info showin on the iDrive screen. The Dension solution in my allroad is better: one cradle handles both iPod and Pandora via the standard iPhone connector, but this requires hard wiring to the allroad's sound system.

Spyder