View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun View Post
Who else has an opinion? How did you order your 2010 X5?

Well, it might be easiest to first list the options I didn't take, and why it didn't make sense for me:

Cold Weather package: I really did want the heated steering wheel, but I have no use for heated rear seats, and I have heard some people complain about the headlight washers needlessly messing up their hood with the spray. So I ordered just the heated front seats instead of the cold weather package.

Adaptive Drive: I would like to have this, but (a) $3,000+ takes the cost/benefit ratio out of my range, and (b) I keep my vehicles a long time, and the adaptive suspension is likely to have more problems, be very expensive to fix, and preclude the usage of non-BMW shocks down the road.

3rd row seat: No use for this, although if they offered the self-leveling rear suspension as an individual option, I might have considered that.

Premium Sound: I would have liked to get this, but again BMW bumped the price an extra $500+ by insisting a CD changer be included in the package. If Premium sound was available as an individual option around $1,000, I would have probably gotten it. But at $1,700, it just wasn't worth it to me.

Rear Climate package: Not having many passengers ever back there, no reason to get it.

Comfort access: A cool and convenient feature, but not worth it to me, considering the addition of one more thing that could go wrong with the locking and starting of the vehicle.

Then a couple of key options (to me):

Comfort seats: Quite expensive, but considering the time I will spend in them on trips, it seemed worth it to me. An old guy once gave me a piece of advice... "You spend most of your life either in bed or wearing shoes, so don't skimp on either of those." I guess you could add vehicles seats to those two and cover a good percentage of your lifetime!

Tech package: I debated about this as the nav is terribly overpriced, but (a) a Nav system integrated with the audio system, which you don't have to pack away every time you stop and leave the car, and which will automatically override the radio/music when it announces upcoming turns, is a real convenience, and (b) without the tech package, you get a smaller i-drive screen. Throw-in the other goodies like the top view camera, voice control, etc. and it seemed to make sense.

Now, I know that I have contradicted myself in (a) saying I don't want some stuff because of additional complexity, meaning more potential problems and repair costs down the road, and then (b) adding stuff like the technology package. I plead guilty; however, it again is a persona trade-off of the value you see in what something does, and the added cost and potential for problems down the road due to the added complexity.

Anyway, FWIW, that how I ended-up with my particular option mix.

Last edited by Penguin; 10-23-2009 at 04:49 PM.