View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
If you're referring to the long term test they did on a 2004 where the rear suspension blew out after 4 hours off pavement, I think you're taking things out of context. 2004 was the first model year and is infamous for its rock hard suspension. There have been two suspension updates between that one and yours. Blaming your suspension problems on that one is like comparing apples to oranges IMHO.
It was a 2005.

They destroyed the shocks and other parts of the suspension system in one afternoon of driving on fire access roads maintained by the state. Does that not sound odd to you? It sounds odd to me for an SAV that 'looks' like it could go off road. I thought they put these cars up on test beds and rock them for more than an afternoon but maybe they don't?

That was after the first suspension update. I haven't seen anything anywhere that says what they did to the suspension in either 2005 and 2007 other than 'soften' them up due to the myriad of complaints about the harsh ride. What does soften them up mean?

As I have said before, my SPECULATION is that they softened them up by making them wobbly. Perhaps some X3's are wobblier than others and maybe I have the worst of the bunch...I do not know.

What I mean by wobbly is that they dealt with the harsh ride problems by doing something to the dampening system (?) so that major imperfections are dealt with fine but minor ones cause bouncing/swaying disconnect between the cabin and the wheels. That is what it feels like to me in my car.

Your springiness may vary.