View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E92 328xi
What bike would you start out on?

So, I took the MSF course, got my license and now looking to pick up a bike. I know it's kinda off-season, but I'm thinking that maybe that would allow me to get a better deal. (or should I just wait until next spring?)

The tough part is picking out the bike. The budget is flexible but I'd like to stay under 4-5K and being a new rider I probably shouldn't go out and get a brand new bike for my first ride anyway.

I like the seating position and ergo's on the Triumph Street Triple or Ducati Monster, but keep thinking that's way too much bike to start out on. On the other hand a Triumph Bonneville (which just speaks to me when i get on) seems like a tamer bike, but has an even bigger engine. Would this be a motorcycle that you'd recommend for a beginner?
I could pick up a brand new Bonneville (the pros for me are better styling, contoured seat, and fuel-injection) for about 8.5K vs the other end of the spectrum - something like a 2003 for about 4-5K.

What would you guys suggest? Are there any other standard bikes with soul and a normal size engine (regardless of displacement but one that's not pushing out 100bhp) that I'm overlooking. It seems like there's a serious gap between the 250cc beginner bikes and 650cc rockets.

Thanks in advance!

As a side note - bimmerfest ROCKS! It may not look like it by my post count, but yes, I am an addict!
Ads by Google