View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Ok, here's what I have come up with based on experience. I couldn't find the specs for the internal amplifier. The business cd sound system is what I have so that is my base line.

It seems to me that it is a low level amp because the "subs" are set to 2 ohms and the door speakers are 4 ohms. For those who want to know the long winded engineering reasoning pm me. This is the abridged non sleepy version.

IMO the speakers you have selected will work with some minor exceptions:
  • Very tight fit because of the deep magnet on the back and the extruding tweeters
  • Low spl will work, but will overdrive the amp and at higher volumes may cause distortion
  • These will sound much better with an outboard amp.
  • You can add an outboard amp later without changing the H/U
  • This is what one board member recommended and looks great on paper http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236REQ5...428&tab=review

What most people don't realize is that you can upgrade your sound system in stages until you achieve the quality you like. An old saying applies: Plan your work, and work your plan.

If you only plan to do the speakers than I recommend a higher spl and different speaker. If not than go with them and plan on an amp that will work as a 2x1. Meaning one that will handle both bass and full range seperately. Alpine makes anumber of good amps from $200 to 600 that will do a good to great job.

If you are doing the work yourself and want to keep the original H/U expect to spend $800 to $1600 for a full system.

That speaker is good but a bit overkill without an external amp.

Give some thought to these as they will be very efficient, but you will need to do both front and back to keep the amps impedance balanced.

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...9i.html?tp=102

I have to warn you --they are bright on the highs. Some people love them and others hate them. Kind of like our X3's, Lol.

If you can listen to them somewhere I would. Technically speaking they would work much better then the RF and are cheaper.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 11-07-2009 at 06:03 PM.