View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: 330i/X3/El Camino
The reality is it takes a lot of work to pull the transmission out so that you can get to the clutch. I have been told that the bell housing bolts over the top are buggers to get to. Once you have spent that time or $$$ (take your pick) the price for parts is relatively inexpensive. So it is customary to replace all of the wear parts rather than just one.

The other factor to consider is if you generated enough heat for it to smell you will also have affected the metal parts. Springs can lose their temper. Bearings can get cooked. New parts eliminates the potential for troubles from these kinds of things down the road.

I still have my prior DD, a 2001 Mustang GT with about 90k on it. Clutch works fine. Throwout bearing does not, it makes a lot of noise when it is cold. Might be a $20 part. But if I replace it I will do about $300 worth of parts.

Note that it is generally a good idea to resurface or replace the flywheel when replacing a clutch disk. The metal of the flywheel acquires a certain finish which is a combination of texture and embedded clutch disk material. This surface is not totally compatible with a new disk and can lead to clutch chatter (rough engagement).