BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to import music (USB) into iDrive

203K views 62 replies 37 participants last post by  DJouJi7 
#1 ·
Both the USB connection in the glove compartment and the centre console can read and/or write to a USB drive. However, ONLY the center console has the audio connection for the iPod

and that's why BMW recommend you plugin the iPod in the center console. Some USB drives have small programs (for security reasons) that run on them which sometimes require authentication

before full access is granted to the USB drive or data on it. Some Kingston usb drives fall into this category and may not work in your BMW.

Instructions on how to import music from a USB drive onto the iDrive hard drive:

***Car SHOULD be OFF***

1) Insert the USB drive into any of the USB connection(s); Center console OR Glove compartment.

2)Turn the car ON

3) Press the Menu button and select CD/Multimedia OR press the CD button

4)Select External devices

5)Select the USB icon Not Connected. NOTE: Even though your USB drive is connected, it'll still show Not Connected.

6) Press the Option button OR move the iDrive knob to the right. Scroll down and select Music data import/export

7) Click on Import new music (USB)

8) You should now see Importing music...

NOTE: If it says No USB device detected

Do the following:
  • Unplug the USB drive
  • Turn the car off
  • Exit the car and lock/arm it
  • Wait for about four (4) minutes and repeat steps 1) thru 8).
If still No USB device detected, i recommend you try another USB drive.

9) When the import is complete, click OK. That's it.

The music collection you just imported will be labelled USB 1 (assuming this is your first).
To rename it, do the following:
  1. Select USB 1 and Press the Option button OR move the iDrive knob to the right. Select Rename album

2. Use the back key |<- to delete USB 1

3. Enter a name for your music collection and click OK

4. Music collection USB 1 is now renamed

NOTE: There MAY be several and different ways to accomplish importing music (usb) and i hope you find this one useful.

Have fun!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice write up! The only thing is- I was told that if you have the iPod connection in the center console it can not import from a USB there and you must use the other USB connector in the front passenger side. Not sure if you have run into this issue or even if this is still true (the car I had was an early run on the original software).

-M

#3 ·
Hmm. E90 manual indicates import works for glovebox port and playback for console port. No mention of the other way around...I expect F01 is more featurefull.

#4 ·
That's BMW recommendation. However i'm able to play my iPod when connected to the glovebox usb connection but I DON'T get any SOUND since there's no audio connection in there. On the other hand I can import music using the usb port in the center console. In order not to keep unplugin' my iPod from the center console, I primarily use the glovebox usb connection for reading (importing profiles, importing music & restoring music) and writing (exporting profiles & backing up my iDrive music collection).

#7 · (Edited)
Just to add, and then a question...

In my 2011 740, I can import songs from a USB drive when connected to the glovebox port, but cannot play directly from the drive. If I connect the USB drive to the center console use port, I can play from the drive. Haven't not tried importing from the center console port yet.

When using the bmw's USB menu when accessing the stick directly, there is an option to browse playlists, but of course just dragging folders from my iTunes library onto the stock doesn't give me any browsable playlists - is there a format I can export from iTunes for playlists, and is the bimmer smart enough to find the tracks on the stick to play them wherever they are?

#10 ·
Just to add, and then a question...

In my , I can import songs from a USB drive when connected to the glovebox port, but cannot play directly from the drive. If I connect the USB drive to the center console use port, I can play from the drive. Haven't not tried importing from the center console port yet.

When using the bmw's USB menu when accessing the stick directly, there is an option to browse playlists, but of course just dragging folders from my iTunes library onto the stock doesn't give me any browsable playlists - is there a format I can export from iTunes for playlists, and is the bimmer smart enough to find the singsong the stick to play them wherever they are?
I don't seem to have that usb menu to browse. Can you post some pictures?

#19 ·
Thrang,

The iDrive is not good at reading complex folder structures. I recommend you create a single folder for each of your Artist/Genre and put the music/songs in their respective folders.

I did a test with these playlist and the iDrive couldn't play any of the songs or playlist :dunno::

Legend.m3u
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:172,Bob Marley - Africa Unite
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\Africa Unite.mp3
#EXTINF:256,Bob Marley - By the Rivers of Babylon
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\By the Rivers of Babylon.mp3
#EXTINF:226,Bob Marley - Catch A Fire
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\Catch A Fire.mp3
#EXTINF:235,Bob Marley - Could You Be Love
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\Could You Be Love.mp3
#EXTINF:197,Bob Marley - Crazy Baldheads
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\Crazy Baldheads.mp3
#EXTINF:234,Bob Marley - Don't Worry, Be Happy
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\Don't Worry, Be Happy.mp3
#EXTINF:257,Bob Marley - Exodus
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\Exodus.mp3
#EXTINF:196,Bob Marley - Get Up Stand Up
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\Get Up Stand Up.mp3
#EXTINF:196,Bob Marley - I Can See Clearly Now
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Bob Marley\Legend\I Can See Clearly Now.mp3

Kenny G HITS.m3u
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:222,Kenny G - Breathless
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Kenny G\Kenny Greatest Hits\Breathless.mp3
#EXTINF:321,Kenny G - Can You Feel The Love Tonight
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Kenny G\Kenny Greatest Hits\Can You Feel The Love Tonight.mp3
#EXTINF:299,Kenny G - Forever In Love
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Kenny G\Kenny Greatest Hits\Forever In Love.mp3
#EXTINF:282,Kenny G - Jasmine Flower
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Kenny G\Kenny Greatest Hits\Jasmine Flower.mp3
#EXTINF:356,Kenny G - Moonlight
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Kenny G\Kenny Greatest Hits\Moonlight.mp3
#EXTINF:303,Kenny G - rain
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Kenny G\Kenny Greatest Hits\rain.mp3
#EXTINF:270,Kenny G - Saxophone Solo
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Kenny G\Kenny Greatest Hits\Saxophone Solo.mp3
#EXTINF:258,Kenny G - Sentimental
Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Kenny G\Kenny Greatest Hits\Sentimental.mp3

I removed the Profiles\Asaseaban\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\ and created a single folder at the root of the usb memory stick for my Artist:

Legend.m3u
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:172,Bob Marley - Africa Unite
Legend\Africa Unite.mp3
#EXTINF:256,Bob Marley - By the Rivers of Babylon
Legend\By the Rivers of Babylon.mp3
#EXTINF:226,Bob Marley - Catch A Fire
Legend\Catch A Fire.mp3
#EXTINF:235,Bob Marley - Could You Be Love
Legend\Could You Be Love.mp3
#EXTINF:197,Bob Marley - Crazy Baldheads
Legend\Crazy Baldheads.mp3
#EXTINF:234,Bob Marley - Don't Worry, Be Happy
Legend\Don't Worry, Be Happy.mp3
#EXTINF:257,Bob Marley - Exodus
Legend\Exodus.mp3
#EXTINF:196,Bob Marley - Get Up Stand Up
Legend\Get Up Stand Up.mp3
#EXTINF:196,Bob Marley - I Can See Clearly Now
Legend\I Can See Clearly Now.mp3

Kenny G HITS.m3u
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:222,Kenny G - Breathless
Kenny Greatest Hits\Breathless.mp3
#EXTINF:321,Kenny G - Can You Feel The Love Tonight
Kenny Greatest Hits\Can You Feel The Love Tonight.mp3
#EXTINF:299,Kenny G - Forever In Love
Kenny Greatest Hits\Forever In Love.mp3
#EXTINF:282,Kenny G - Jasmine Flower
Kenny Greatest Hits\Jasmine Flower.mp3
#EXTINF:356,Kenny G - Moonlight
Kenny Greatest Hits\Moonlight.mp3
#EXTINF:303,Kenny G - rain
Kenny Greatest Hits\rain.mp3
#EXTINF:270,Kenny G - Saxophone Solo
Kenny Greatest Hits\Saxophone Solo.mp3
#EXTINF:258,Kenny G - Sentimental
Kenny Greatest Hits\Sentimental.mp3

and the iDrive was able to play the songs and play lists.

I know it seems like a lot of manual work but unfortunately that's the only way i know how. You can always just plug in your iPod and enjoy life :)

#21 ·
FYI - for anyone trying to export a song list from itunes to a USB flash drive, it's not all that straight forward (at least if you are using a Mac). It's easy to drag and drop from Finder to a USB drive, but not from the itunes playlist (you can't drag or copy/paste from itunes to Finder). My library is 50gb or something and I have a 10gb playlist I want to get onto the USB to import into by F10. Using drag or drop would have been agonizing to find all the right songs. So, to do it I used a free piece of software from ericdaugherty.com (although I gave the guy a donation because he seems to come up with all kinds of useful stuff - keep at it Eric!).

It's called iTunes Export. Brilliantly simple. It can export a playlist form itunes (along with the songs or just the playlist file) into a folder structure or a flat folder (all songs in one folder) on a USB drive.

I did this with the 10gb playlist last night (took maybe an hour to convert / copy the whole thing to a flash drive) and then imported into my 550xi this morning. That import took about 40-50 minutes (I've heard some people complain about it taking much longer than that; from what I've read, not all USB drives are the same; I used a Corvair high speed 16gb flash drive).

If you have an ipod that you could just keep in the car (in the center armrest), that seems to be a good way to go as well. I don't have a dedicated ipod and didn't want to buy another one to leave there, so I went this route. I'm sure the ipod solution will be easier to maintain over time, although I tend to add songs only so often and tend not to remove many from my playlists, so I'm not overly concerned with that.

#28 ·
Just try it and see what happens. Either it works or it doesn't.

#31 ·
Nope its not the cradle. It's the USB connection with the audio jack next (left) to it.

#33 ·
Thank you so much!

Once again, I am finding answers about my new x3 on this forum instead of from the BMW site, or my owners manual. Finally uploaded my music to the vehicle. I cannot understand the rationale of having the usb connected and it saying "not connected". I thought that my computer experience would be enough to figure out a basic operation - but NO!

I am thankful again for this site - last time it was the setting up of profiles that we needed help with. I seriously find the owners manual (and also customer support - who I called about the profile and the woman - who sounded more like a teenager) was unable to find the proper support guide to help me!

Thanks again!

#34 ·
Once again, I am finding answers about my new x3 on this forum instead of from the BMW site, or my owners manual. Finally uploaded my music to the vehicle. I cannot understand the rationale of having the usb connected and it saying "not connected". I thought that my computer experience would be enough to figure out a basic operation - but NO!

I am thankful again for this site - last time it was the setting up of profiles that we needed help with. I seriously find the owners manual (and also customer support - who I called about the profile and the woman - who sounded more like a teenager) was unable to find the proper support guide to help me!

Thanks again!
Glad you found some useful information on here. If you need further assistance or help, don't hesitate to post on here. I've found the BMW community more helpful and useful than the BMW CA, dealership, and customer support.

#37 ·
Both the USB connection in the glove compartment and the centre console can read and/or write to a USB drive. However, ONLY the center console has the audio connection for the iPod

and that's why BMW recommend you plugin the iPod in the center console. Some USB drives have small programs (for security reasons) that run on them which sometimes require authentication

before full access is granted to the USB drive or data on it. Some Kingston usb drives fall into this category and may not work in your BMW.

Instructions on how to import music from a USB drive onto the iDrive hard drive:

How to import music (USB) into iDrive
!...............................................................................
Brilliant write up - saved me a lot of time and head scratching!

#40 ·
Good write-up but it doesn't work. I bought a BMW usb - center console connection will play from it but not save. Glove compartment usb connection recognizes it for archiving but does not recognize it with my own content on it; will neither play nor upload. I've tried the turn off, lock, come back and start over twice; same results. I have all of my '60s & '70s LPs on .WAV files on my computer; would like to have them on the BMW. No-one in the Portland dealership has a clue how to do it, and the telephone help line was totally useless. Very frustrated!
Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

#41 ·
Savind music files from usb drive

After my last post I connected the dots - BMW made the system to work with iPod. So of course the files can only be apple files - it will read and play WAV files but the "store in vehicle" system will only recognize them if they are converted to MP3. Incidentlly, Audacity is a good conversion software.

#47 ·
No way to add songs, but you can delete them individually. You can't even use lower-case letters in naming the folders, it does not play Lossless WMA, and does not display album art. Once BMW enabled the armrest port function, I think they decided not to bother developing their HDD music interface any more. Even though the new NBT iDrive has more HDD space for music, I would not be surprised if BMW gets rid of the HDD altogether. After 5 years, there have been no improvements.

#45 ·
great info, thanks guys

#46 ·
I need advice on importing files using the usb

I'm not getting anywhere the upload continues to stay at 0%, I cleared everything on my idrive off so I have space I'm trying to upload 1GB of music and it just stays at 0%. I've tired several different times, if I connect my USB to the center USB I'm able to play the music but when I connect to the glovebox USB it gives me this screen which is attached.

Attachments

#49 ·
FAT32 formatting

Stumbled across this thread when I was searching for a solution for my iDrive never being able to recognize my USB drive - I'd always get the "USB drive not connected" message.
Anyway, figured out that iDrive does not read USB drives formatted as ex-FAT (had formatted as ex-FAT from Mac and Win compatibility + large file transfers).
Once I reformatted as FAT32 it all worked fine - from both the USB ports (glove compartment and center console).
Actually, now that I can get 32GB USB drives for $20, fail to see much point in loading songs to the Beemer's HD any more - might as well keep the USB stuck in the port.

#50 ·
Stumbled across this thread when I was searching for a solution for my iDrive never being able to recognize my USB drive - I'd always get the "USB drive not connected" message.
Anyway, figured out that iDrive does not read USB drives formatted as ex-FAT (had formatted as ex-FAT from Mac and Win compatibility + large file transfers).
Once I reformatted as FAT32 it all worked fine - from both the USB ports (glove compartment and center console).
Actually, now that I can get 32GB USB drives for $20, fail to see much point in loading songs to the Beemer's HD any more - might as well keep the USB stuck in the port.
I figured that MAY be the case, how do you format as FAT32? I only have 2 choices in Windows 7, ex-FAT and NTFS.

Help!!

Sincerely,

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.