View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
I didn't think the N52 engine used "VANOS" technology. I thought the newer BMW engines used what BMW terms "Valvetronic" technology to monitor valve timing. I thought VANOS went out with the M54 engine.
From wikipedia, not sure how accurate it is:

The BMW N52 is BMW's latest straight-6 engine, which debuted in 2004 on the BMW E63 630Ci. Its crankcase is made entirely of magnesium and aluminum, a first in the world of engine construction. BMW used Alusil[1], creating one of the lightest production engines of its size class in the world at 161 kg (354 lb). aluminum cylinder sleeves, which offer high heat conductivity, and cast them into a lightweight magnesium block
It includes BMW's second generation Valvetronic system and Double-VANOSBMW M54 for fuel-efficiency (12% fuel savings over the previous generation engine - and increases performance). Producing 63 kW (85.5 hp) per liter of displacement, it has the lowest weight per horsepower of any six cylinder engine (1.24 hp per kilogram with the latest version). It is the world’s lightest six-cylinder engine.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch