Thread: Engine ID
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
You'll probably want to stash the panel under the engine. It prevents the jack from finding the front XMBR and you won't be able to read the engine number with it in place anyway.

Ron keeps his in a spare bedroom and mine is stashed in the basement behind stacks of wheels, hardtops and M Rdstr exhaust systems.
Last time I had it off, I just put it back on when I was done. So you leave yours off all of the time? It is indeed tedious to remove/replace with the car on jackstands, but being on a gravel road, I figure it's helping me keep dirt and stones away. There were some decent nicks in mine the last time I had it off.

I have the crossbeam adapter coming for the jack too, but I've yet to try to figure out if it's going to be usable on the roadster. Ultimately this is all mostly temporary in terms of using it for the roadster, there's a 4-post lift in my not-too-distant future so the jacks will be relegated to those times when I need to unload the suspension.
It's just a hell of a lot easier to push a button and lift the whole car at once. The 220 and subpanel were installed earlier this year, I just haven't bough the lift yet because I keep pondering which one to buy (I want the Bend-Pak, but it'd be nice to have a center decking option and they don't appear to offer it and I don't know if others will fit or if I'll have to make some). The crossbeam adapter will be usable on our truck, and probably the A4 should I ever need to get under it (it's leased, no mods going on there).