View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo166 View Post
I'm new to this scene. But want to learn. My wife's uncle has a 1980 BMW 728i that he would like me to purchase. It's been in storage for the past 15 years. The only thing is, I can't find a value reference. Everything in the car is in German. This car model, as far as I can find, was not offered in the states in 1980. He told me that the last time he registered the car he was told it was 1 of about 4 in the states. It needs work. No, it needs restoratation. There's no rust, but there are tears in the seats, the power steering pump needs replacing, (which I assume won't be easy to find) and I'm curious as to the collectability of this car if I buy it and restore it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Everyone else here is on the money, this is not really a collectible and is probably worth a few hundred dollars as is-- basically scrap value for the metal.

You will spend several times as much restoring this car as you would get back selling it. So, if you like the car and want a project you can probably go ahead with it, but if you are thinking about it as an investment you might want to move on to something else.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i