View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5 xdrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogibooo View Post
thanks for the responses folks. FYI - the 8k fix mentioned was to replace the transmission. Any case, many of you mentioned about a lot of problems with bmw, however the enjoyment of it 'outweights' the pain of getting them fix. UNDERSTOOD! However, want to clarify the 'fix'. Is that mostly out of pocket fixes or are they mostly covered under warranty? My budget is tight, yes I can afford to get the X5, but I rather not spend another 5-10k just get the machine fix every now and then for the life of the car (hopefully 10 yrs).

Note: the TL I traded in for back in 1998... I still drive it, its been 12 years and no major problems.
I traded in my 2007 X5 for a 2010 X5 35d, specifically because I didn't want to drive it out of warranty. If I added up every repair, maintenance cost on my X5 through 48,000 miles, it was about $3,000 AT LEAST. I've had 4 BMW's and I've never driven any of them past the warranty period.

But in the X5 35d purchase, I'm hoping to go 100,000 miles. I have already budgeted for the extended maintenance and warranty to extend to 100,000 miles. Current costs of both will be about $7,000 and I will purchase just prior to end of current factory warranty. If for nothing else, for the piece of mind knowing I won't be hit for any expensive repair costs or denials of warranty coverage for any maintenance work done outside of the BMW dealership.

But a reliable BMW? Nah...not in comparison to the ACURA's and Lexus's of the world. But my BMW is much more fun to drive than any SUV/SAV offered by those companies, IMO.
2010 BMW X5 35d - current (nevada leather, sports activity pkg., premium sound, tech pkg., entertainment pkg., cold weather pkg., rear climate control pkg., premium pkg., comfort access, multi-contour seats)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i - retired (nappa leather, premium pkg., sports pkg. including adaptive drive, tech pkg., cold weather pkg.)

2007 BMW 335i - retired
2005 BMW 325ci - retired